Tuesday, March 27, 2012

If He Didn't Tell Me First, He Didn't Tell You!: The Gift of Discernment



It feels like I haven't written for days, but it's actually been less than a week :).  I got to the topic of discernment in a round about way, I was actually preparing to write about how difficult it can be for Christians to handle those people who refuse to accept the NEW YOU in your walk.  I'll come back to that another day...don't let me forget!!  This actually would've been my first time writing and then finding scriptures, because I always get hit with something that I've read in the Word, and then write. 

As I searched for Bible verses, I ran across 1John 4:1.  It reads:

"Beloved do not put faith in every spirit, but prove (test) the spirits to discover whether they proceed from God; for many false prophets have gone into the world. (Amplified Version)

This isn't a "discovery", I've read this Bible verse many times before, but this time it took me back...it "hit" me.  Let me say that after I write this post, I am letting the situation go.  Forgiveness is a must!  Consider this my final therapy session with Trinity Counselors Theraputic Services...that would be The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit...free of charge...check them out, they're AWESOME! 

Without divulging too many details (so much for being "transparent" huh...?), not so long ago I made some decisions in my life, allowed some people into my life based partially on what a couple of people with a "prophetic gift" told me.  Sound foolish, right?  Well...not since I trusted, and believed their insight was truly given from the Lord.  I had no reason NOT to believe.  And, who's to say it wasn't.  I'm just saying, it didn't come to pass...or hasn't come to pass...? Won't...?  Can't...?  I don't know.  You see those question marks all over the place...it's called LACK OF DISCERNMENT, and there is NOTHING remotely fun about it.

I emerged from the situation MAD AS HE**.  But, guess what?  I was more mad at me, than them!!  So the forgiveness is actually more of me forgiving myself and them as well.  But I haven't beat them up in my conscience HALF as much as I beat myself up.  We all have had situations where it's hard to forgive ourselves for putting ourselves in no so pleasant situations, or allowing someone else to.  If you haven't, keep living it WILL happen.  The enemy comes in many forms and disguises, we just need to stay prayed up and ask for DISCERNMENT!  Shoot, I even pray on a regular that God protect ME FROM ME!

Anyways, I learned one big lesson from this experience, and that is:

IF GOD DID NOT TELL ME FIRST, HE DIDN'T TELL YOU EITHER!   

This is why it's so very important for us to not only pursue a personal relationship with Him, but to also ask and pray for discernment.  Consider these  Bible verses:

Proverbs 2:6-9 6For the Lord gives skillful and godly Wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
7He hides away sound and godly Wisdom and stores it for the righteous (those who are upright and in right standing with Him); He is a shield to those who walk uprightly and in integrity,
8That He may guard the paths of justice; yes, He preserves the way of His saints.
9Then you will understand righteousness, justice, and fair dealing [in every area and relation]; yes, you will understand every good path.

Jeremiah 29:13Call to Me and I will answer you and show you the great and mighty things, fenced in and hidden, which you do not know 9do not distinguish and recognize, have knowledge of, or understand)

John 16:1313But when He, the Spirit of Truth (the Truth-giving Spirit) comes, He will guide you into all the Truth (the whole, full Truth). For He will not speak His own message [on His own authority]; but He will tell whatever He hears [from the Father; He will give the message that has been given to Him], and He will announce and declare to you the things that are to come [that will happen in the future].


When I pray now, I ask for God to reveal HIS will to me, so that even if someone comes to me with something about me, prophetic or not, I can discern between if its something that I should take to heart, question, or completely dismiss.  I suggest you do the same.

God will reveal what He wants you to know through various different avenues.  They include:
  • The Word
  • Praying and talking to Him...then LISTENING and MEDITATING (This is so important, and something I need to work on.  Hearing from God is not a "special gift".  WE ALL CAN DO IT, if we take the time out to let HIM speak to our spirit.
  • God will speak to you in your DREAMS, CONVICTIONS, and VISIONS
Even if he has to yell at you in some way, which you do not want Him to do that, HE WILL GET THE MESSAGE TO YOU!

Yes, it is ok to follow the Godly advice from others.  Usually that guidance or advice, even if it is about your future can be supported in the Word.  But, when you get it from Him, the questions and doubts about what they are telling you do not exist, they are erased.  He is NOT A LIAR and he sends the Spirit of Truth.

Now that I realize this, I can honestly say that I forgive myself, and those who may or may not have been "prophetic" in their words.  But I do know this...

HE DIDN'T TELL ME, SO HE DIDN'T TELL YOU!

*Now if he tells ME later on, we can revisit this post.  Until then, stay encouraged, be blessed, and pray for DISCERNMENT!  Luv y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment